This post is sponsored by Reading Rainbow Skybrary Family. All opinions are my own. Please view my disclosure.
I look around my house and see multiple little bookshelves filled with great children’s books. The reality is my kids want to read the same 5 or 6 books over and over for months at a time.
At bedtime when we read together as a family, all the kids pile up on top of my oldest daughters’ bed. They each pick a book for me to read to them. Instilling the love of learning with books is one of my favorite jobs as a mom!
The younger three always pick the same book every night. It’s gotten to the point that my husband has hidden a few books to force the kids to pick something else. 😉
When I look around my home and see the kids’ books piled up, cluttering the floors, and not getting read as much as I would like, I want less book clutter and more reading for the kids! The alternative to piles of books that are not being read is Reading Rainbow Skybrary Family.
Skybrary Family: Digital Library for Kids
Reading Rainbow was a part of my childhood. We had such great television programs for kids when I was young. LeVar Burton would read and we could enter an imaginary world filled with the details of great stories.
Reading Rainbow the TV show is gone, but Reading Rainbow is back in a new way filling a need we moms have when it comes to getting our kids reading more and enjoying books.
Reading Rainbow Skybrary Family is a tool for parents to get an entire online library into the hands of our kids. The twins enjoyed reading their digital books, and even viewing fun “field trip” videos with educational lessons.
Skybrary Family puts a library of books and virtual field trips within your child’s reach.
Choose the age level, topics, and load up their Reading Rainbow virtual backpacks. Your child will learn to love learning-and use technology for something educational.
Even my 3 year olds learned which icon was used for turning the pages, and with the “Read to Me” option, they could work on listening skills while following along with a great educational book at their level.
Benefits of Skybrary Family
There are aspects of technology that I don’t like, but there are great benefits to it as well for educating our kids. Skybrary puts the variety of a library on your tablet or phone. You can “check out books” without a library card or leaving the house!
As a mom of four, I try to avoid quiet places with all four kids. My crew does not stay quiet long! Skybrary gives me freedom to expose my children to quality children’s literature in a digital format. No quiet library visit necessary. (No ripped pages this way either!)
With Reading Rainbow Skybrary Family, your child can Go Anywhere and Be Anything — right from your preferred device. Plus, Skybrary wants to give your family a one-month free trial!
With your Skybrary account login you can add up to 3 children to give them the ability to read books online.
You and your child load books into their virtual Skybrary backpack. Even preschoolers can operate Reading Rainbow Skybrary.
All topics are available and the books are interactive so kids do have to play a part in “turning the pages” and reading or listening along.
Children as young as toddlers can listen along with mom or dad, grandma or grandpa, all while hearing and seeing language.
We have a tablet that the kids can use in a limited way. I shared my tips for managing kids’ screen time, and we stick to that. Educational games we do allow but screen time is a reward in our house.
Reading Rainbow Skybrary Family is a fun way to reward the kids and still makes them feel they are getting fun time! It is a super tool for supplementing homeschool curriculum as well.
Free Trial of Skybrary
Building on the beloved children’s television series, Skybrary Family was created to spark a lifelong love of learning through a world of interactive digital books and Video Field Trips hosted by everyone’s favorite storyteller, LeVar Burton.
Skybrary is packed with fun features both you and your child will love:
- Children control their own personal hot air balloons through 7 magical islands, each home to hundreds of books and videos that celebrate family and the world around us.
- Unlimited access to over 600 high-quality books—from classics to award winners to new finds. Each has been hand-picked by celebrated authors and publishers.
- They can explore the world on over 250 educational Video Field Trips. From nature excursions to space explorations to globe-trotting adventures, LeVar Burton leads them on a seemingly endless array of fun and fascinating learning journeys.
- You will reward your young reader’s natural curiosity and sense of discovery. Skybrary features interactive animations that add to the fun (and support reading comprehension). This makes it a parenting and learning tool that will grow with your child.
Why I love Skybrary:
- You can create customized profiles for up to 3 children at no additional cost. Plus, you only need one login for multiple children to use the service on multiple devices.
- Track your child’s progress with the easy to use Parent Dashboard. See which books they are reading, how much time they are spending, and get book recommendations specifically tailored to your child’s age and interests. (This is a great feature for us homeschool moms!)
- Kids can choose between “Read to Me” or “Read by Myself” options for each book – so they can build confidence and develop reading independence at their own pace.
- Receive new books and videos every Friday. (It would be fun to have a read-in day where your child reads as many books as possible!)
- Available for the Web, iPhone, iPad, Kindle Fire and Android Tablets.
Reading Rainbow Skybrary is offering you a free month to try out the program and features. One month of Skybrary absolutely FREE and you can cancel anytime!
What a great gift to give your child: Unlimited children’s library access! I will be adding Skybrary onto my “great gifts for kids” list.
How to Get Skybrary Family
After your one month free trial, Skybrary only costs $4.99/month or you can subscribe for a year to save 33%. (One year subscription is only $39.99!)
This is a great option for a child’s rest time when they grow out of taking naps. It’s a fun take-along activity for doctor’s offices or a long wait at the post office. Skybrary has unlimited uses for engaging your child in a love of books while at home or on the go. It helps me get dinner on the table, because the kids are occupied with an educational activity.
Reduce the book clutter while still providing your children with so many book choices! Take a look at the Skybrary website and let me know what you think.
What is your favorite memory of Reading Rainbow? Have you tried Skybrary Family yet?
Follow The Stay-at-Home-Mom Survival Guide:
- Subscribe to the newsletter to receive weekly updates plus snippets of mom motivation via email.
- Join with me and other moms over on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest.
- Looking to connect with other Stay-at-Home Moms for support and connection with others who “get it”? Join our private Facebook group.
Enjoy your time at home!
Leave a Reply